Faculty Associates Program
Inclusion and Equity Faculty Associates play leadership roles in a variety of justice-based initiatives for faculty university-wide. Faculty Associates function within the student-centered mission of the division and are highly dedicated to advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice throughout the academic culture at GVSU. Faculty Associates serve at least two year terms representing a one course reassignment (or "buy-out") per semester. Their roles and responsibilities vary based on interest, expertise, and current needs of the division and the university.
The Division of Inclusion and Equity is currently seeking two additional Faculty Associates to begin terms of service in Fall 2017. Interested faculty must apply by April 30, 2017. Eligibility and application information are below.
Dana Munk, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Movement Science
Pew FTLC Faculty Fellow
068 James H. Zumberge Hall
Faculty Associate since Winter 2015
Donald "D.J." Mitchell, Jr., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Education
M.Ed. in Higher Education Program Coordinator
409C Richard M DeVos Center
Faculty Associate since Fall 2015
Danielle Lake, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Liberal Studies
Interim LIB 201 Coordinator
241 Lake Ontario Hall
Faculty Associate since Fall 2016
Who is eligible?
- Tenure and tenure track faculty
- Faculty at the rank of associate or higher preferred, but assistant professors may also be considered
- Email a letter of interest and current vita to Dana Munk at email@example.com by April 30, 2017
- Applicants should be sure to highlight which of the duties listed below they are most interested and experienced in
- Faculty Associate appointment will be finalized by June 1, 2017, for start in Fall 2017
- The Vice President for Inclusion and Equity will provide letters of support and review to demonstrate efforts in this role that would be helpful in the tenure and promotion process
- Applicants must receive prior approval from their respective Department Chair, Dean, and Provost prior to being appointed (this can occur via the Division of Inclusion and Equity, but faculty are encouraged to discuss with appropriate individuals in your unit and college prior to application)
Potential roles and responsibilities of Faculty Associates :
- Based on best practices, FA’s will introduce ideas for integrating inclusion across the curriculum, including course redesign or enhancements that align with the division's social justice framework for inclusion and equity
- Provide input and expertise in developing new undergraduate courses which address inclusion and social justice
- Explore the diverse mentoring needs for different faculty identity groups on campus and develop a collaborative mentoring program
- Assist in the development of and serve as facilitators for social justice education programs for faculty
- Fulfill a role as Division of Inclusion and Equity liaisons to employee affinity groups on campus
- Serve as faculty advisors to the social justice centers (Women’s Center, Office of Multicultural Affairs, Milton E. Ford LGBT Resource Center, Kaufman Interfaith Institute/Campus Interfaith Resources, Disability Support Resources) and be involved in the development of mentoring networks for students, and pipelines for success
- Represent faculty on the Inclusion and Equity Advisory Council and/or serve as liaison to UAS and other faculty governance committees as necessary
- Attend division meetings, division leadership team meetings, shared professional development activities, and other division activities (as available - not required)
- Meet regularly with other faculty associations and division staff, including the Vice President for Inclusion and Equity