Applied linguistics is an interdisciplinary field that investigates and offers solutions to language-related problems in the world. The discipline relies on the theories and findings of linguistics, together with the experiences and needs of language users, to engage real-world issues at such intersections as language and society, language and education, and language and power.
Students earn the minor by completing 21 credits. Required foundation courses (nine credits): ENG 261 - Foundations of Language Study ENG 363 - Applied Linguistics ENG 364 - Sociolinguistics
Choose three English course electives (nine credits): ENG 362 - History of English ENG 365 - Teaching ESL ENG 366 - English Grammar and Usage ENG 390 - Special Topics in Language ENG 392 - Language and Power ENG 461 - Language and Gender ENG 465 - L2 Reading and Writing ENG 467 - Language Disorders and English Literacy ENG 469 - ESL Teaching Practicum
One elective must be taken from crossdepartmental electives. For complete list, go to gvsu.edu/english/linguistics/.
Applied Linguistics will prepare you to work in a wide variety of fields, including:
- Language teaching and assessment
- Editing and publishing
- Computer science
- Nonprofit/NGO services
- Foreign services
- Adult literacy
- Forensic analysis
- Language policy and planning
Why Study Applied Linguistics at Grand Valley?
- As a young discipline, applied linguistics continues to play an increasingly prominent role in a range of academic disciplines and professional settings.
- Since language is involved in virtually all human activity, the scope of applied linguistics is very broad.
- The applied linguistics minor serves as an excellent disciplinary complement to such fields as African/African American studies, anthropology, classics, communications, information systems, English, education, modern languages, philosophy, political science, psychology, sociology, and writing.
- The world-wide demand for English language expertise continues to grow at unprecedented rates, so the market for English language specialists is expanding rapidly.